The Festival of Butterflies
2013 Festival of Butterflies
Connecting with Nature
9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Festival Dates: August 2-4 and 9-11
Powell Gardens' signature festival returns for its 17th year with brand new ways for you to connect with nature! The show includes a return of scene-stealing stars from Costa Rica, including the sparkling Blue Morpho, the White Morpho, Stoplight Catone, and the "see through" butterfly called the Thick-tipped Greta or "Costa Rica Clearwing."
These beauties join hundreds of other free-flying butterflies from tropical parts of the United States in the indoor butterfly conservatory. The festival also includes two outdoor butterfly breezeways aflutter with native species, children's activities, an interactive LEGO brick art exhibit and more.
- Storytelling featuring "Fancy Nancy," 10:30 a.m. daily (near Fountain Garden)
- Caterpillar Float & Costume Parade, 11 a.m. daily
- Trolley Service, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
- Children's Activities, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Free activities include a caterpillar hunt, catch-and-release, costume parade and antennae headbands. Fee-based activities include butterfly wings ($3), paint-a-pot ($3) and face painting ($2).
- Fresh Bites with Barb the Gardener, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday
- Garden Chef grilling demo by Craig Jones, Savory Addictions Gourmet Nuts, 2 p.m. Sunday
NEW! Evening Events
Family Night: An Evening with the Butterflies, Saturday, August 3
An Evening Escape: Martinis, Moonlight and More, Saturday, August 10
What to Know Before You Go
Conservatory exhibit schedule on non-festival days:
The indoor butterfly conservatory will be open to the general public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 5-8 and August 12-18. No other festival activities take place on these days.
Tripod Photography Day: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday, August 8; Garden admission plus $5/photographer applies. Please note: this is the only date tripods or monopods are allowed in the conservatory.
Food & Drinks
Cafe Thyme Indoor Cafe and Outdoor Grill, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily
reFresh: Drinks and Light Bites from the Garden, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Heartland Harvest Garden
- $12/adults, $10/seniors 60+
- $5/children ages 5 through 12
- FREE/children 4 and under
Festival admission includes parking, trolley service and access to all of Powell Gardens, including the Nature Connects LEGO brick sculpture exhibit.
Tips for Visiting with Kids
Check out this page for more details on enjoying a festival visit with children.