Employment with Powell Gardens
COVID-19 Update: Thank you for your interest in joining Powell Gardens’ team. At this time, we have suspended visitor access to the Gardens for an indefinite period of time. Given the impact on revenue for the Gardens, we are putting all open positions on hold. We will stay in touch as the local situation evolves and are hopeful we can resume hiring decisions soon. Thanks again for your interest and support of the Gardens.
Property & Facilities
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Manager, Property & Facilities is responsible for all physical property maintenance, operations, planning, environmental services, and security operations. As the head of these important areas, the position will be directly involved in supervising and setting the priorities for the Maintenance, Custodial, and Security team’s daily responsibilities.
The Manager is responsible for planning, prioritizing, and executing the Facility Management Plan. The Manager will consider priorities as outlined in the Garden’s strategic plan, input from stakeholders (internally & externally) and budget considerations. The Manager is a creative problem-solver dedicated to solutions that use Garden resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
The Manager, Properties & Facilities will play an important and diplomatic role in the organization, responsible for developing and maintaining constructive and collaborative relationships with all departments across the Gardens.
Email a cover letter and resume to Susan Vongretzinger at email@example.com.
Development & Communications
Powell Gardens, Kansas City’s botanical garden,© seeks an experienced membership and sales professional who understands how to be business-minded and mission-driven in a cultural non-profit. Reporting to the Director of Development and Communications, the specialist will be a critical member of the team focused on acquiring new members and retaining existing members. Key areas of focus include managing a multi-channel direct marketing campaign for the membership program and implementing a corporate membership program.
The position requires a hands-on professional with excellent written and oral communication skills who will personally grapple with and resolve issues, act as an advocate for Powell Gardens, and encourage others to be equally engaged.
The Membership Specialist helps the organization meet development goals by assisting with strategic use of data, identifying, cultivating and managing the organization’s individual membership programs. The Membership Specialist is directly responsible for managing the recruitment, acknowledgement, fulfillment of benefits, renewal, and stewardship of Powell Gardens members to higher levels of support.
- Research and implement corporate membership program.
- Develop and implement strategies for retention of existing members and recruitment and cultivation of new members.
- Manage multi-channel direct marketing campaign, including, integrating printed mailings with emails, renewals and webpage content as applies to the membership program.
- Coordinate upgrade strategies and cultivation approaches with the development and communications team to identify potential members for annual and leadership gift solicitation.
- Work with Visitor Services to ensure effective on-site membership sales, including staff training, sales incentives, membership materials and special promotions to encourage nonmember prospects to join.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communication, public relations or related field required.
- One to three years of experience using a constituent relationship management system. Altru is a plus.
- One to three years of demonstrated professional experience in member or donor services.
- Proven success in compiling data to achieve strategic goals.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Experience with computer systems, including Web-based applications and Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate should be:
- Mission-driven and business-minded
- Passionate for Powell Gardens
- A visionary thinker who can plan and execute both long-term and short-term
- A good listener and strategist; tactful
- Transparent, straightforward, respectful, resourceful
- Results-oriented, hard-worker and high energy
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to McKenna Bowman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rentals & Events
This position is responsible for the facilitation of rentals and events for Powell Gardens including but not limited to weddings and receptions, rehearsals, memorial services, celebratory occasions, corporate events, galas, holiday parties, and Garden festivals. This position will work closely with the Assistant Manager of Special Events to ensure successful events for clients and visitors to Powell Gardens. Additional duties include timely responses to online inquiries and conducting facility tours for potential clients.
Email a cover letter and resume to Hannah Kloster at email@example.com.
Call for Artists
Powell Gardens is accepting exhibition proposals from professional artists for the gallery spaces in the Visitor Center. Proposals should include work that can be either displayed building-wide as a solo artist exhibition or curated into and displayed as a small group thematic exhibition. Submissions are welcome from any artist working in two-dimensions and in any media for works that can be installed on a wall and that are framed under glass (all works must be professionally displayed).
To Submit a Proposal:
Please submit a resumé/curriculum vitae, artist’s statement, and link to 10 images of your work with titles of all works, dimensions, media descriptions, and the date created for reference, to Tabitha Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org.