resources for Educators & Families
Powell Gardens recognizes the unique world COVID-19 has created. Amidst uncertain and changing times, it’s more important than ever before to get outside. Powell Gardens wants to help you discover your own backyard!
Scroll down to see available on-site resources. Our videos, PDFs, and other resources are also available and free to use by educators, parents, students, and families.
Nature Enthusiast Backpacks
Nature Enthusiast Backpacks are now available for check out (free of charge) in the Perennial Lounge. These adventure packs are filled with all the tools a young scientist needs to explore the Gardens, perform experiments, and learn about the plants and animals living at Powell Gardens. Check one out during your next visit!
- Magnifying glass– Observe captured insects, leaf patterns, seeds, and animals’ tracks up close.
- Ruler– Measure insects, leaves, seeds, and animal scat to help you identify the animal or plant species.
- Guides– Identify different animals in the Garden.
- Neighborhood News nature journal– Complete the garden activities in this seasonal nature journal.
- Outdoor bingo – Compete in a game of nature-themed bingo with a friend or family member.
- Picture books (2)– Find a shady spot and read a couple nature-themed stories.
- Binoculars– Identify flying insects and birds darting through the Gardens.
- Bug tongs– Gently and safely capture Garden-dwelling insects. Please return them to their home when you are finished.
- Bug house and container– Place captured insects in the container and observe their movements. Please return them to their home when you are finished.
From Caterpillar to Butterfly
Mr. Mark is back with a special video all about raising butterflies. You can help caterpillars transform into butterflies at home. Watch this video to learn how!
If you’re interested in learning more about the great outdoors, visit Powell Gardens. Tickets are available here.
Join Mark Sharp, Education Programs Coordinator at Powell Gardens, as he shares how to start a garden with kitchen scraps. It’s easy to grow new plants with things you already have at home!
Mark Sharp, Education Programs Coordinator at Powell Gardens, is back with a new video! This week, explore the decomposing world of worms and dirt. There’s so much going on in our own backyards just below the surface!
Mark Sharp (Education Programs, Powell Gardens) is back with a BIG reveal! Learn how to test the health of your soil, observe words making tunnels, and discover a few good books to read along the way.
Mr. Mark is back in the first video of our three-part Pollinator Series. The pollinators (bees and butterflies) in your own backyard need special plants to do their job. Learn how to help by creating seed bombs. Pollinators love this simple project!
Our Pollinator series is back with our second video! Mr. Mark shows us how to use simple materials to provide a safe place for bees to grow and live.
Did you know butterflies need water just like we do? In the final video of our three-part Pollinator series, Mr. Mark shows us how to use what we have at home to create a safe space for pollinators to drink.
We love succulents for kids! For the most part, these plants are resilient and easy to grow at home. In this video, Mr. Mark shows families creative ways to plant succulents.