Know Before You Go
Look below for the answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
If we can help you plan your visit, please call Powell Gardens at 816.697.2600 or email email@example.com.
Powell Gardens will operate with the following precautions and amenities in place for the safety of visitors, staff, and volunteers:
- In accordance with recommendations of local health officials, we ask that all visitors wear masks indoors and in additional mask zones that are marked with signs to protect the safety of our community. This includes the Perennial Lounge, Seed to Plate Greenhouse, reFresh, and the Native Butterfly Tent.
- Timed tickets are no longer required. Visitors are encouraged to pre-purchase tickets at the link below for a contactless experience. Members will be granted contactless entry upon arrival and do not need to pre-register.
- Hours will be limited to 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. to ensure our custodial staff can maintain increased sanitation procedures.
- One-way paths have been lifted to allow visitors our visitors more room to roam across 175 acres. All areas of the Garden will be open. All buildings, with the exception of the Miller Hammond Chapel Study, are open to visitors.
- Hand sanitation stations will be positioned throughout the Gardens.
- Snacks and beverages will be available at reFresh, located at the Missouri Barn in the Heartland Harvest Garden, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Tram service will be limited to Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Visitors are encouraged to follow CDC recommendations and practice social distancing. Building capacity will be limited to ensure that social distancing is possible.
The situation continues to evolve, and leadership will continue to meet frequently to monitor new developments and ensure that precautionary measures are adequate.
For updates, follow us on social media @powellgardens.
Powell Gardens (1609 US-50 E, Kingsville, MO 64061) is easily accessible throughout the Kansas City metro area, conveniently located twenty miles east of Lee’s Summit and twenty miles west of Warrensburg.
Powell Gardens is currently constructing a new front entrance, coming November 2020. During construction, our Gardens will be open during normal business hours. Click here to plan your visit.
Powell Gardens embraces most weather events and encourages visitors to experience the Gardens regardless of rain or snow. However, when the weather becomes dangerous to visitors, staff, and volunteers, the Gardens may choose to close. Powell Gardens uses the National Weather Service as a benchmark and takes into account the impact closing the Gardens will have on scheduled events and classes.
Winter Weather Events of Concern:
- Winter Weather Advisory: Garden remains open
- Winter Storm Warning: Garden closes
- Ice Storm Warning: Garden closes
- Heat Advisory: Garden remains open
- Tornado Watch: Garden remains open
- Tornado Warning: Visitors, staff and volunteers are moved to safe areas, the Visitor Center basement and the lower level of the Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel.
- Lightning: Garden remains open, but everyone in the Gardens is advised to take shelter.
If events or classes are canceled due to inclement weather, they will be rescheduled or refunds will be processed.
Active-duty and retired military personnel receive $2 off general admission year-round. Please call 816.697.2600 during Garden hours or purchase tickets in person to take advantage of this discount.
Reciprocal Garden Admissions Program
Powell Gardens is a proud supporter of the American Horticultural Society’s Reciprocal Admissions Program. All Powell Gardens members enjoy select benefits at more than 320 botanical gardens around the country.
To enjoy this benefit, simply present your current membership card at one of our partner institutions. To visit Powell Gardens as a reciprocal member, please present your membership card at a participating Garden to our staff upon arrival to Powell Gardens.
Coolers with picnic items (food and non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed.
It’s simple to learn more about what’s growing at Powell Gardens! PlantSnap is an easy to use plant identifier app. Scan the QR reader to download the Powell Gardens version of PlantSnap and instantly learn about flowers, trees, and other plants as you stroll through the gardens.
PlantSnap’s library has 600,000+ plants and 200 million+ plant images. Once the app is downloaded, take pictures of plants at Powell Gardens to see a complete description and learn the botanical nomenclature. You can even build collections of your favorite plants to reference later!
PlantSnap also connects us to other gardens and plant lovers around the world. Be certain to check out the app’s social feed to join a discussion and learn about plants in other parts of the world. PlantSnap works anywhere on Earth and is translated into 37 languages. The Powell Gardens’ QR code also gives the option of selecting the premium, ad-free version. A portion of the revenue generated by each visitor using the premium version supports the American Public Gardens Association’s (APGA) Garden to Garden Disaster Response Center. This response center supports member gardens recovering from extreme climate events as well as programs to help public gardens build resilience.
Powell Gardens is a member of APGA, allowing our members reciprocal benefits when visiting other member gardens.
Service animals are welcome at Powell Gardens. Pets are not allowed unless otherwise specified (Dog’s Day Out).
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
• Service Animals should remain on a leash at all times and may not be left unattended.
• Please clean up after your service animal and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
Powell Gardens is a smoke-free facility.
Firearms or weapons of any kind are not allowed.