Things to Know
Coolers with picnic items (food and non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed. You are welcome to purchase wine or beer for your picnic at Perennial Gifts, the garden gift shop or reFresh snack shop in the Heartland Harvest Garden.
Patrons are welcome to take photos throughout the grounds. Professional photography sessions are allowed on the grounds. Please read the full photography policy before visiting.
Businesses seeking to conduct a professional video or photography shoot on-site should contact the special events department for scheduling and fees.
There are a number of paved pathways throughout the Gardens. Wheelchairs are available for checkout first-come, first-served. Please check with the visitor services desk for availability.
If you would like to request a donation for your non-profit event, please note the following:
- To be eligible to receive a donation organizations must be a non-profit or school. For-profit entities can be considered if they are holding a fundraiser or benefit for a non-profit.
- Organizations must submit a formal request on company letterhead with the name of the organization that is benefiting and the date of the event.
- Recipients must be located within a 100-mile radius of Powell Gardens.
- Organizations are eligible for one donation of two general admission passes per calendar year.
If you are interested in donating a plant to our collection please submit the plant type along with your contact information to email@example.com.
In order to protect the gardens and grounds, pets are not allowed, unless otherwise specified. Service Animals are welcome at Powell Gardens. Please adhere to the following guidelines:
• Service Animals should remain on a leash at all times and may not be left unattended.
• Please clean up after your service animal and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
Ample public parking is located just past the gatehouse, near the Visitor Education Center. Handicapped parking is available on the drive in front of the Visitor Education Center. Parking on general admission days is free. A $5 parking fee applies during festivals.
Powell Gardens is a smoke-free facility. Firearms or weapons of any kind are not allowed.
Powell Gardens is a 970-acre facility, with 100 maintained acres, including groomed trails and paved walkways. Powell Gardens offers a number of options for visitors to access the Gardens.
The trolley runs an approximate 20-minute round-trip route around the perimeter of the Gardens. Stops are located at the Visitor Education Center, the Perennial Garden, the David T. Beals III Woodland & Stream Garden, the Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel and the Missouri Barn in the Heartland Harvest Garden.
Weekends-Only | April, and September ( 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Daily | May – Aug (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Adults (age 13+) | $2
Children (12 & under) | FREE
Garden Members | FREE
Powell Gardens welcomes all guests to enjoy the Gardens at their leisure. In order to keep the Gardens beautiful for everyone, please observe these policies:
- Take a long walk on our beautiful grounds, but please do not walk in beds or planted areas and do not climb on stone walls.
- Enjoy a picnic! Bring your own or purchase picnic supplies at reFresh in the Heartland Harvest Garden. Please help keep our grounds free of debris by using trash receptacles provided.
- Please do not harvest fruits or vegetables or pick flowers.
- Please walk for your safety, children caught running will be put on weeding detail.Thank you for respecting the gardens.
During your visit, you may encounter animals and insects in their natural habitats. Powell Gardens is committed to creating a safe environment for visitors
along with the flora and fauna that exist naturally in the landscape and we ask that you respect these creatures and allow them to remain undisturbed. Please remember that even animals considered to be pests play an important role in our ecosystem.
Powell Gardens accepts all major credit cards as well as cash and personal checks (with ID). Powell Gardens does not have an ATM on-site. Powell Gardens offers gifts cards for sale in Perennial Gifts.
Active-duty and retired military personnel receive $2 off general admission year-round.
Blue Star Museums
Powell Gardens is a proud participant in the Blue Star Museum program, a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, Department of Defense and more than 2,000 museums and other attractions across America.
Through this program Powell Gardens offers active duty U.S. military personnel and up to five family members free general admission from Memorial Day (May 29) through Labor Day (September 4). This offer excludes festivals and other special events.
The program includes all active duty U.S. military—Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserve members. U.S. Military ID must be presented to receive admission. Acceptable forms of ID include a Geneva Convention common access card (CAC), DD form 1173 ID card (dependent ID) or DD form 1173-1 ID card.
The active duty member is not required to be present. A dependent family member who presents appropriate military ID is eligible for the offer.
Powell Gardens embraces most weather events and encourages visitors to experience the Gardens regardless of rain or snow. However, when weather becomes dangerous to our visitors, staff and volunteers, the Gardens may close. Powell Gardens uses the National Weather Service as a benchmark and takes into account the impact closing the Gardens will have on scheduled events and classes.
Weather events of concern:
• Winter Weather Advisory: Garden remains open.
• Winter Storm Warning: Garden closes
• Ice Storm Warning: Garden closes
• Heat Advisory: Garden remains open
• Tornado Watch: Garden remains open
• Tornado Warning: Visitors, staff and volunteers are moved to safe areas, the Visitor Education Center basement and the lower level of the Chapel.
• Lightning: Garden remains open, but everyone at the Garden is advised to take shelter.
In the even that Classes and events are canceled due to inclement weather, they will be rescheduled, if possible. Refunds will be given to those registered who were impacted and cannot attend the rescheduled opportunity.
Powell Gardens is a member of the American Horticultural Society’s Reciprocal Admissions Program. Members of participating gardens can show their membership card at the gate and receive free general admission. Excludes gardens within 90 miles of Powell Gardens.
Not a member? Join today and receive benefits at 300 gardens throughout the United States.