Know Before You Go
Look below for the answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
If we can help you plan your visit, please call Powell Gardens at 816.697.2600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 18, 2021 – In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, updated guidelines from local health officials and visitor feedback, Powell Gardens leadership has announced the following precautions are in place for the 2021 season:
- Non-members are strongly encouraged to purchase advance general admission tickets online to ensure capacity limits are maintained. General admission tickets can be used between 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. on any day the Gardens are open, except during seasonal festivals.
- Members do not need to make advance reservations and will be able to access the Gardens by showing their membership card and checking in at the front desk upon arrival. (Please note, if you do not have your current membership card, please provide your name to the front desk associate upon arrival and you will be checked in.)
- Powell Gardens is an outdoor, rain or shine venue. Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. However, if the Gardens close due to inclement weather, necessary updates will be emailed to impacted ticket holders.
- Masks are not required; however, visitors are encouraged to continue taking individual safety precautions.
- Garden hours are Thursday-Sunday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The Visitor Center gift shop is open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. for purchasing gifts, beverages, sandwiches, and light snacks.
- Tram hours are 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Thursday-Sunday.
- To make visits enjoyable for all guests, visitors are encouraged to follow updated COVID-19 and local health recommendations during their time in the Gardens.
We appreciate your support as we navigate the challenges presented by COVID-19. Leadership is meeting frequently to review feedback and make adjustments as necessary. For updates, follow @PowellGardens on social media.
Powell Gardens (1609 US-50 E, Kingsville, MO 64061) is easily accessible throughout the Kansas City metro area, conveniently located twenty miles east of Lee’s Summit and twenty miles west of Warrensburg.
Powell Gardens embraces most weather events and encourages visitors to experience the Gardens regardless of rain or snow. However, when the weather becomes dangerous to visitors, staff, and volunteers, the Gardens may choose to close. Powell Gardens uses the National Weather Service as a benchmark and takes into account the impact closing the Gardens will have on scheduled events and classes.
Winter Weather Events of Concern:
- Winter Weather Advisory: Garden remains open
- Winter Storm Warning: Garden closes
- Ice Storm Warning: Garden closes
- Heat Advisory: Garden remains open
- Tornado Watch: Garden remains open
- Tornado Warning: Visitors, staff and volunteers are moved to safe areas, the Visitor Center basement and the lower level of the Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel.
- Lightning: Garden remains open, but everyone in the Gardens is advised to take shelter.
If events or classes are canceled due to inclement weather, they will be rescheduled or refunds will be processed.
Active-duty and retired military personnel receive $2 off general admission year-round. Please call 816.697.2600 during Garden hours or purchase tickets in person to take advantage of this discount.
Reciprocal Garden Admissions Program
Powell Gardens is a proud supporter of the American Horticultural Society’s Reciprocal Admissions Program. All Powell Gardens members enjoy select benefits at more than 320 botanical gardens around the country.
To enjoy this benefit, simply present your current membership card at one of our partner institutions. To visit Powell Gardens as a reciprocal member, please present your membership card at a participating Garden to our staff upon arrival to Powell Gardens.
Visiting members from other participating RAP gardens may only use the RAP benefits during general admission time. RAP benefits may not be used for Powell Gardens festivals, special events, or classes.
Coolers with picnic items (food and non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed.
It’s simple to learn more about what’s growing at Powell Gardens! PlantSnap is an easy to use plant identifier app. Scan the QR reader to download the Powell Gardens version of PlantSnap and instantly learn about flowers, trees, and other plants as you stroll through the gardens.
PlantSnap’s library has 600,000+ plants and 200 million+ plant images. Once the app is downloaded, take pictures of plants at Powell Gardens to see a complete description and learn the botanical nomenclature. You can even build collections of your favorite plants to reference later!
PlantSnap also connects us to other gardens and plant lovers around the world. Be certain to check out the app’s social feed to join a discussion and learn about plants in other parts of the world. PlantSnap works anywhere on Earth and is translated into 37 languages. The Powell Gardens’ QR code also gives the option of selecting the premium, ad-free version. A portion of the revenue generated by each visitor using the premium version supports the American Public Gardens Association’s (APGA) Garden to Garden Disaster Response Center. This response center supports member gardens recovering from extreme climate events as well as programs to help public gardens build resilience.
Powell Gardens is a member of APGA, allowing our members reciprocal benefits when visiting other member gardens.
Service animals are welcome at Powell Gardens. Pets are not allowed unless otherwise specified (Dog’s Day).
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
• Service Animals should remain on a leash at all times and may not be left unattended.
• Please clean up after your service animal and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
Powell Gardens is a smoke-free facility.
Firearms or weapons of any kind are not allowed.