Know Before You Go
Look below for the answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
If we can help you plan your visit, please call Powell Gardens at 816.697.2600 or email email@example.com.
March 1, 2021 – In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, updated guidelines from local health officials and visitor feedback, Powell Gardens leadership has announced the following precautions are in place for the 2021 season:
- Powell Gardens will reopen to the public on Thursday, April 1, 2021.
- Non-members are required to make daily reservations online to manage capacity. Advanced reservations allow us to provide a contactless experience and regulate the number of visitors to the Gardens. These tickets can be used any time between 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on the day selected. To ensure availability, purchase tickets online before arrival.
- Members do not need to make advanced reservations and will be able to access the Gardens by showing their membership card upon entry. Member and pre-purchased tickets are accounted for in Garden capacity. (Please note, if you do not have your current membership card, please provide your name to the front desk associate upon arrival and you will be checked in.)
- Powell Gardens is an outdoor, rain or shine venue. Tickets are non-refundable. However, if the Gardens close due to inclement weather, advanced reservations for that day may be used on select days. Details will be emailed to impacted ticket holders.
- In accordance with Johnson County, MO and other local health mandates, masks continue to be required indoors, in marked mask zones, and outdoors where social distancing is not possible.
- The Perennial Lounge will be open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m for purchasing gifts, beverages, sandwiches and light snacks.
- Gardens hours continue to be limited to Thursday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. to ensure our custodial staff can maintain increased sanitization procedures.
- To make visits enjoyable for all guests, visitors are encouraged to follow CDC recommendations and practice social distancing during their time in the Gardens.
We appreciate your support as we navigate the challenges presented by COVID-19. Leadership is meeting frequently to review feedback and make festival adjustments as necessary. For updates, follow @PowellGardens on social media.
Powell Gardens (1609 US-50 E, Kingsville, MO 64061) is easily accessible throughout the Kansas City metro area, conveniently located twenty miles east of Lee’s Summit and twenty miles west of Warrensburg.
Powell Gardens is currently constructing a new front entrance, coming November 2020. During construction, our Gardens will be open during normal business hours. Click here to plan your visit.
Powell Gardens embraces most weather events and encourages visitors to experience the Gardens regardless of rain or snow. However, when the weather becomes dangerous to visitors, staff, and volunteers, the Gardens may choose to close. Powell Gardens uses the National Weather Service as a benchmark and takes into account the impact closing the Gardens will have on scheduled events and classes.
Winter Weather Events of Concern:
- Winter Weather Advisory: Garden remains open
- Winter Storm Warning: Garden closes
- Ice Storm Warning: Garden closes
- Heat Advisory: Garden remains open
- Tornado Watch: Garden remains open
- Tornado Warning: Visitors, staff and volunteers are moved to safe areas, the Visitor Center basement and the lower level of the Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel.
- Lightning: Garden remains open, but everyone in the Gardens is advised to take shelter.
If events or classes are canceled due to inclement weather, they will be rescheduled or refunds will be processed.
Active-duty and retired military personnel receive $2 off general admission year-round. Please call 816.697.2600 during Garden hours or purchase tickets in person to take advantage of this discount.
Reciprocal Garden Admissions Program
Powell Gardens is a proud supporter of the American Horticultural Society’s Reciprocal Admissions Program. All Powell Gardens members enjoy select benefits at more than 320 botanical gardens around the country.
To enjoy this benefit, simply present your current membership card at one of our partner institutions. To visit Powell Gardens as a reciprocal member, please present your membership card at a participating Garden to our staff upon arrival to Powell Gardens.
Coolers with picnic items (food and non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed.
It’s simple to learn more about what’s growing at Powell Gardens! PlantSnap is an easy to use plant identifier app. Scan the QR reader to download the Powell Gardens version of PlantSnap and instantly learn about flowers, trees, and other plants as you stroll through the gardens.
PlantSnap’s library has 600,000+ plants and 200 million+ plant images. Once the app is downloaded, take pictures of plants at Powell Gardens to see a complete description and learn the botanical nomenclature. You can even build collections of your favorite plants to reference later!
PlantSnap also connects us to other gardens and plant lovers around the world. Be certain to check out the app’s social feed to join a discussion and learn about plants in other parts of the world. PlantSnap works anywhere on Earth and is translated into 37 languages. The Powell Gardens’ QR code also gives the option of selecting the premium, ad-free version. A portion of the revenue generated by each visitor using the premium version supports the American Public Gardens Association’s (APGA) Garden to Garden Disaster Response Center. This response center supports member gardens recovering from extreme climate events as well as programs to help public gardens build resilience.
Powell Gardens is a member of APGA, allowing our members reciprocal benefits when visiting other member gardens.
Service animals are welcome at Powell Gardens. Pets are not allowed unless otherwise specified (Dog’s Day).
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
• Service Animals should remain on a leash at all times and may not be left unattended.
• Please clean up after your service animal and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
Powell Gardens is a smoke-free facility.
Firearms or weapons of any kind are not allowed.